Areas of Specialization:
Education and Recent Professional Experience:
- Associate Professor of Sociology, Florida State University, 2007-present
- Assistant Professor of Sociology, Florida State University, 2001-2006
- Research Associate, Pepper Institute on Aging and Public Policy, 2001-present
- Postdoctoral Fellow at Institute for Health, Health Care Policy, and Aging Research, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, 1999-2001
- Ph.D. in Sociology, Duke University, 1999
- M.A. in Sociology, Duke University, 1996
- B.A. in Sociology and Economics, College of William and Mary, 1993
Selected Papers and Publications:
- Barrett, Anne E., Manacy Pai, and Rebecca Redmond. “‘It’s Your Badge of Inclusion’: A Qualitative Examination of Women’s Involvement in the Red Hat Society.” Journal of Aging Studies, forthcoming.
- McWilliams, Summer and Anne E. Barrett. “Online Dating in Middle and Later Life: Gendered Expectations and Experiences.” Journal of Family Issues, forthcoming.
- Barrett, Anne E., Rebecca Redmond, and Carmen von Rohr, “Avoiding Aging? Social Psychological Journals’ Treatment of Aging Issues,” The American Sociologist, 43:328-347.
- Toothman, Erica and Anne E. Barrett. “Mapping Midlife: An Examination of Social Factors Shaping Conceptions of the Timing of Middle Age,” Advances in Life Course Research, 16:99-111. READ
- Lewis, Robyn K. and Anne E. Barrett. 2011. “Visual Impairment and Quality of Life among Older Adults: An Examination of Explanations for the Relationship.” Journal of Gerontology: Social Science 66B:364-373.
- Simon, Robin W. and Anne E. Barrett. 2010. "Nonmarital Romantic Relationships and Mental Health in Early Adulthood: Does the Association Differ for Women and Men?" Journal of Health and Social Behavior 51:168-182. READ
Featured in “A Young Man’s Lament: Love Hurts!” New York Times, July 25, 2010
- Barrett, Anne E. and Cheryl Robbins. 2008. “The Multiple Sources of Women’s Aging Anxiety and their Relationship with Psychological Distress.” Journal of Aging and Health 20:32-65. READ
- Pai, Manacy and Anne E. Barrett. 2007. "Long-term Payoffs of Work? Women's Paid Work Histories and Mental Health in Widowhood." Research on Aging 29:436-456. READ
- Barrett, A.E. and Turner, R.J. 2006. "Family Structure and Substance Use in Adolescence and Early Adulthood: Examining Explanations for the Relationship," Addiction 101: 109-120. READ
- Barrett, A.E. 2005. "Gendered Experiences in Midlife: Implications for Age Identity," Journal of Aging Studies 19: 163-183. READ
- Barrett, A.E. and Turner, R.J. 2005. "Family Structure and Mental Health: The Mediating Effects of Socioeconomic Status, Family Process, and Social Stress" Journal of Health and Social Behavior 46: 156-169. READ
- Blekesaune, M. and Barrett, A.E. 2005. "Marital Dissolution and Work Disability: A Longitudinal Study of Administrative Data from Norway" European Sociological Review 21: 259-271. READ
- Westerhof, G.J. and Barrett, A.E. 2005. "Age Identity and Subjective Well-being: A Comparison of the United States and Germany" Journal of Gerontology 60B: S129-S136. READ