Elwood D. Carlson
|Website:||Center for Demography and Population Health profile|
Areas of Specialization:
- Demography (Reproductive Health, Adult Mortality, Marriage & Family)
Education and Recent Professional
- Charles B. Nam Professor in Sociology of Population, Florida State University (2002-)
- Director, Center for Demography & Population Health, FSU (2003-2007)
- Dean, International Max Planck Research School for Demography (2000-2002)
- Fulbright-Hayes Senior Research Fellow, Hungarian Academy of Sciences (1987-1988)
- National Fellow, Hoover Institution for War, Revolution and Peace (1986-1987)
- Asst, Assoc. & Professor of Sociology, University of South Carolina (1979-2000)
- Instructor, Asst. Professor of Sociology & Anthropology, Bowdoin College (1976-1979)
- Ph.D., University of California at Berkeley, 1978 (Sociology)
Selected Papers and Publications:
- Carlson E, Hoffmann R. 2010. The state socialist mortality syndrome. Population Research and Policy Review (online first publication).
- Gore, D.L., Carlson, E. 2010. Ethnicity, education, and the non-proportional hazard of first marriage in Turkey. Population Studies 64(2): 179-191.
- Carlson E. 2009. Twentieth-century U.S. generations. Population Bulletin 64(1). Washington D.C.: Population Reference Bureau.
- Carlson E, Andress J. 2009. Military service by 20th century generations of American men. Armed Forces & Society 35(2): 385-200.
- Andreev E, Hoffmann R, Carlson E, Shkolnikov V, Kharkova T. 2009. Concentration of working-age male mortality among manual workers in urban Latvia and Russia, 1970-1989. European Societies 11(1): 161-185.