|Website:||Center for Demography and Population Health profile|
Areas of Specialization:
- Sociology of Mental Health and Psychiatric Epidemiology
- Ethnicity and Health
- Social Stress and the Stress Process
- Medical Sociology
- Epidemiological Methods
- Ethnicity and Health
- Introduction to Research Methods
- Sport and Society
Education and Recent Professional Experience:
- Associate Professor, Department of Sociology, Florida State University (2007-present)
- Assistant Professor, Department of Sociology, Florida State University (2001-2007)
- Research Associate, Center for the Study of Population, Florida State University (2001-present)
- Ph.D. University of Miami, 2000 Sociology
- M.A. University of Miami, 1996 Sociology
- B.A. Maryville College (Maryville, TN), 1992 History
Selected Papers and Publications:
- Taylor, John, David Eitle, and David Russell. (2009). “Racial/Ethnic Variation in the Relationship between Physical Limitation and Fear of Crime.” Deviant Behavior 30:144-74. READ
- Eitle, David, John Taylor, and Kay Pih. (Forthcoming). “Extending the Life Course Interdependence Model: Life Transitions and the Enduring Consequences of Early Self-Derogation for Young Adult Crime.” Youth and Society.
- MacDonald, Ryan D., John Taylor, and Diana Clarke (Forthcoming). “The Long-Term Consequences of Suicide Behaviors.” Journal of Adolescence.
- Lewis, Robyn and John Taylor. (2009). “The Social Significance of Religious and Network Resources in the Prediction of Mattering to Others: African American and White Adult Contrasts.” Sociological Spectrum 29:273-294. READ
- Russell, David and John Taylor. (2009). “Living Alone and the Psychological Well-Being of Older Adults: Findings from a Study of Disabled and non-Disabled Adults 60 Years of Age and Older.” The Journals of Gerontology: Social Sciences 64B:1-10. READ
- Eitle, David and John Taylor. (2008) “Are Hispanics the new ‘Threat’? Minority Group Threat and Fear of Crime in Miami-Dade County.” Social Science Research 37:1102-15. READ
- Turner, R. Jay, Donald A. Lloyd, and John Taylor. (2006). “Physical Disability and Mental Health: An Epidemiology of Psychiatric and Substance Disorders.” Journal of Rehabilitation Psychology 51:214-23.
- Turner, R. Jay, Donald A. Lloyd, and John Taylor. (2006). “Stress Burden, Drug Dependence and the Hispanic Paradox.” Drug and Alcohol Dependence 83:79-89.
- Lloyd, Donald A. and John Taylor. (2006). “Lifetime Cumulative Adversity, Mental Health, and the Risk of becoming a Smoker.” Health 10(1):95-112. READ
- Sischo, Lacey, John Taylor, and Patricia Yancey Martin. (2006). “Carrying the Weight of Self-Derogation? Eating Disordered Practices as Social Deviance in Young Women.” Deviant Behavior 27:1-30.
- Taylor, John, Donald A. Lloyd, and George J. Warheit. (2005). “Self-Derogation, Peer Factors, and Drug Dependence among a Multiethnic Sample of Young Adults.” Journal of Child and Adolescent Substance Abuse 15(2):39-51. READ
- Eliassen, A. Henry, John Taylor and Donald A. Lloyd. (2005). “Subjective Religiosity and Depression in the Transitions to Adulthood.” Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion 44:187-99. READ
- Turner, R. Jay, John Taylor, and Karen Van Gundy. (2004). “Personal Resources and Depression in the Transition to Adulthood: Ethnic Comparisons.” Journal of Health and Social Behavior 45:34-52. READ
- Taylor, John and R. Jay Turner. (2002). "Perceived Discrimination, Social Stress, and Depression in the Transition to Adulthood: Racial Contrasts." Social Psychology Quarterly 65:213-225. READ
- Taylor, John and R. Jay Turner. (2001). "A Longitudinal Study of the Role and Significance of Mattering for Depressive Symptoms." Journal of Health and Social Behavior 42:309-324. READ
- Schieman, Scott and John Taylor. (2001). "Statuses, Roles, and the Sense of Mattering." Sociological Perspectives 44:469-484. READ
- Schieman, Scott, Karen Van Gundy, and John Taylor. (2001). "Reexamining Age Patterns in Depression in Two Representative U.S. Surveys." Journal of Health and Social Behavior 42:80-91. READ
- First Year Assistant Professor Program Summer Salary Award, 2002
- Outstanding Teaching Assistant, College of Arts and Sciences and the Department of Sociology, University of Miami, 1997/1998